Production Manager (2nd Shift)
The Production Manager directs and manages all plant operations with overall responsibility for production, safety, quality, maintenance, and other production-related activities to achieve effective and efficient use of facilities and human capital as well as maintaining the overall plant budget. The Production Manager is also an integral part of strategic and tactical planning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establishes operations standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety and accurate, complete, on time delivery.
- Manages policy deployment in the areas of Lean Manufacturing techniques, quality, cost reduction, complete and on-time delivery, safety, customer satisfaction, employee relations, visual controls and plant performance measures.
- Provides leadership to attain company and manufacturing goals and objectives. Also provides leadership for problem resolution to facilitate fast improvements and improved working relationships.
- Demonstrates the energy, commitment and enthusiasm needed to energize and motivate the workforce.
- Develops employees through training and involvement programs to create a team environment that has decision-making authority throughout the organization.
- Identifies development opportunities and provides subordinates opportunities to meet their career development plans.
- Responsible for production related communication flow and coordination between all resources committed to each product, including all vendors.
- Maintains a strong customer focus and must be profitability-oriented.
- In conjunction with the Director of Operations, is responsible for plant level financial management, purchasing, inventory, capital expenditures, etc. also manages and analyzes monthly P&L for performance to budget.
- Monitors all production reports to ensure achievement of financial, safety, quality, and on-time delivery of the product.
- Communicates with the Quality Department, Director of Operations and sales force to ensure a quality product. Ensures vendors/subcontractors are manufacturing products according to product specifications.
- Implements production of all products, assists in developing plant layout in planning rearrangements of facilities, equipment and operations for better utilization of space.
- Coordinates and monitors, plans for reductions in cost and product lead times for existing and new products to be developed. Works closely with research and development, quality assurance and maintenance personnel to prevent problems with products and tooling/fixtures.
- Achieves outstanding production efficiency by strictly controlling waste, quality, safety and OSHA regulations, and carefully managing labor costs and communicating effectively with the workforce and all internal and external customers.
- Determines operations headcount needs and ensures compliance with Company policies and stays informed concerning new manufacturing technologies and equipment in order to manufacture and reduce costs through efficiencies.
- Demonstrates machine operations and maintenance proficiency.
- Defines and recommends objectives in each area of the operation for continuous improvement. Determines and eliminates root causes and diminishes occurrences in the manufacturing process.
- Implements cost effective systems of control over capital, operating expenditures, manpower, wages and salaries.
- Manages capital asset maintenance.
The Production Manager is responsible for daily supervision of a team of managers, supervisors and administrative personnel who supervise up to 50 employees. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of product lines. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the company’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, and training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Must be familiar with Kaizen and Lean Manufacturing techniques.
- High degree of knowledge in the understanding of production costs on budgeted hourly cost basis and value-added basis with the ability to analyze production related information regarding time, space, personnel, and equipment resources.
- Understanding and experience in organizational management systems.
- Ability to think ahead and plan over a 6 month to 1 year time span.
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial management concepts and techniques. Proven budget management/control experience.
- Knowledge and experience with information systems and software. Familiar with software programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel. Ability to learn new software programs as required.
- Excellent supervisory and leadership skills to effectively hire, train, motivate and evaluate personnel required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to develop contracts, budgets, correspondence and other documents required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and poise in dealing with a diverse range of people in a variety of circumstances; experience working with high-level constituency in a positive and productive manner required.
- Ability to work independently an as part of a team to set and coordinate priorities and manage multiple projects to meet internal and external competing deadlines; ability to work under pressure. Flexibility to meet changing needs and priorities.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; ability to handle adversity in a calm, flexible and gracious manner.
- Knowledge of company and departmental organizational structure, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Must possess skills to communicate ideas and instructions clearly and concisely and be able to coordinate effectively with management, other supervisors, employees, and the public.
Summary Minimum Education & Experience Required
- Requires a B.S. Degree in business administration, technical or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5 to 10 years of progressive manufacturing experience and responsibilities.
- At least five years of total hands on supervisory and managerial experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Requires broad technical or administrative experience in a manufacturing environment with a hands-on approach to manufacturing operations and the ability to interact with all levels of employees.
- Must have experience with lean manufacturing or lean manufacturing principles.
- Must have experience with Profit and Loss Statements and the budgetary process.
- Proven ability to build, develop and motivate teamwork environment. With the ability to set clear goals for self and others.
- Skilled in coaching others to learn and achieve more.
- Willing to acknowledge the good ideas of staff and to implement them when appropriate.
- Must have excellent leadership skills, organizational skills, and a positive style personality.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to work inside, work protracted or irregular hours, work around machines with moving parts and moving objects, this position will work closely with others in addition to working alone.
- While on the factory floor, the Production Manager may be exposed to excessive or intermittent noise, and dust. Equipment (machines, tools, devices) used in performing only the essential functions include manufacturing machines and equipment, hand tools, computer and related equipment, calculator, copier, fax machine, and possibly a forklift and automobile.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Established in 1981, Portland-based Paradigm Window Solutions specializes in a wide range of premium-quality and Energy Star-rated vinyl windows and patio doors for new construction, replacement and institutional markets in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest regions. Their premium-quality products are designed and fabricated in Maine and exceed requirements of the American Architectural Manufacturing Association (AAMA) Gold Label Certification for integrity and quality.
In 2014, Paradigm Window Solutions consolidated all operations into a larger 109,000-sq. ft. facility at 56 Milliken Street, off Riverside Industrial Parkway. That same year, Paradigm launched the 500 Series New Construction and 5000 Series Replacement Window lines, thereby introducing a value-priced window product option. The following year, three new paint process interior wood grain finishes were added to the 8300 series, which gave Paradigm the ability to compete with the wood window market to reach consumers who wanted the natural wood look without the maintenance of real wood.
In 2018, Paradigm expanded its production schedule by adding a second shift, which created 14 new full-time jobs, and the company is actively hiring. Currently, the company employees 230 people and offers supplemental health/dental/vision, company-paid life insurance, short-term disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, eight holidays, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and quarterly bonus.
56 Milliken Street
Portland, Maine 04103